We have covered the topic of apartment security and safety multiple times, but since the world around us keeps changing every minute, it is kind of essential to stay updated about apartment safety on a regular basis. Burglars are coming up with more and more innovative ways to rob a house & dropping your guard could be dangerous.
So here are some things that you can do to make sure that your apartment stays safe at all times.
1. Strengthen overall apartment security
Individually securing your apartment sometimes isn’t enough. The entire compound needs to be better equipped to withstand every possible emergency.
Join hands with your fellow residents and discuss about setting up a system that is hard to breach. CCTVs and security guards alone are obsolete these days. An app based security system like ADDA Gatekeeper is vital for overall management & security monitoring of residential complexes.
If you do not have one already, get one installed. The benefits that the ADDA Gatekeeper brings to your apartment complex are abundant. It offers the following –
- As it is an App based apartment security management system, it negates all the manual errors guards may commit.
- Solid visitor management system that digitally records details of every visitor.
- Alerts guards should a visitor overstay his/her welcome.
- Sends instant notifications to residents about visitors which means even while away, residents will know who is dropping by.
- Comes with an inbuilt panic alert system. If a resident is in danger, simply pressing a button sounds an alarm at the main gates and a safety contact of your choice.
2. Install a surveillance system
Even if you don’t have kids that you leave in the care of maids or too many valuables to speak of, a CCTV is recommended. The very presence of a CCTV will discourage maids and other potential criminals from committing a crime.
The ones that broadcast probably cost a little more than the ones that simply record. So you can opt of the latter, but it doesn’t hurt to have an extra set of eyes.
3. Better Locks
If the apartment you live in is rented, this is all the more applicable. It makes sense to have the old lock changed to a fresh and solid one. We never know if the previous tenant has a key or not. Even otherwise, if the home is your own, having a high-end, hard to break locking system for your door is strongly recommended.
The general understanding is that units on the lower floors are more prone to burglary and crimes as opposed to higher floor units. So if your flat it is on the lower floors, make it a point to change or strengthen your locks every few years. In plenty of cases, a simple screw driver or even hair clips can be bent to form tools to pick a lock with.
4. Secure your balcony
Again, more applicable for the units in the lower floors. It does make sense to install grills or other forms of protection in your balcony to deter criminals or sometimes even animals. The doors that lead inside from the balcony too must be strengthened so that they won’t be easily picked.
5. Never drop your guard
This involves a series of things that you must do to keep yourselves and your family safe. This is just a basic set of pointers, we recommend that you get to know your neighborhood and premises better so that you know what to look out for.
- Beware of deception crimes. Burglars often pose as utility workers to gain access to your house. Having a system like ADDA Gatekeeper can do wonders in preventing such imposters.
- Keep copies of the ID cards your domestic staff provide. If you are not around when they come for duty, having a CCTV helps keep an eye on them.
- Make your valuables hard to find. Don’t go for the conventional key under the pillow system. Install wall safes or lockers that are pretty hard to break.
- Connect with your neighbors. Know who lives around you.
- Strongly urge your residents association to install a system like ADDA Gatekeeper which not only monitors visitors and other gate-related activities, but also gives you perks like pre-checking in visitors and lots more.
The Final Word
In today’s times when security is starting to be considered a myth, being on your guard is vital to ensure that you and family stay safe. We cannot stress enough on the importance of having a software based solution at the gates and within to not just secure your apartment but also to bring together the residents and make for better a quality life.
We hope you found the article useful and do let us know if you have any concerns or safety tips that you would like to share. Don’t forget to share this article with your friends. Cheers!
Click here to learn more about ADDA Gatekeeper