Registration of Apartment Owners Association

by Vishnu

Owners Association RegistrationWe have been receiving many questions related to the procedure for Home Owners Association/ Apartment Owners Association Registration  in Karnataka, under the Karnataka Societies Registration Act Р1960 . Here are the answers.

To get the Owners Association Registration before the Registrar of Societies the following  documents are to be prepared:

1. Proposal letter addressed to the Registrar of Societies for formation of Association duly signed by the Executive Committee Members.
2. Name of the Association.
3. Address of the Association.
4. Proceedings of the First General Body Meeting
5. Memorandum of Association
6. List of Governing Body/Executive Committee Members, with their passport size photographs.
7. Bye Laws (Rules & Regulations)

All the above documents to be prepared in Kannada for purpose of Registration.

The approximate expenses for purpose of Registration (legal help inclusive) will be around Rs.15,000 to Rs.18,000.

For professional assistance regarding registration of your Association, please email

Note: For learning more about Apartment Owners’ Association please see

For knowing about the Documents required under Karnataka Apartment Ownership Act, please see

You may also like


Sanjay Khanande February 4, 2010 - 12:31 pm

Sir, the Flat owners Association to be register only “Karnataka flat owners Association Act 1972″ to register as per this act, can u inform us that, where to register the association, and what are the document to be produce for the registration as per :”Karnataka flat owners association Act 1972” If you co-operate to regster the association as per Act 1972 kindly contact us to

M. Roy March 16, 2010 - 8:08 am

There is a mess/canteen in the ground floor of our building. Is it legal to have a mess running in a residential building. Its filthy with rats and cockroaches running around. Please advice.

Nikhil Bohra May 22, 2010 - 11:54 am

M.Roy: Many multi-dwelling complexes now have a canteen/coffeehouse on the premises.
However, they usually abide by strict pest-control practices so as to not place the residents at any inconvenience.
Your Association could place strict pest-control regulations on the canteen, with frequent checks.

bikram July 6, 2010 - 4:54 pm

Royji, Canteen / mess on gr floor is either run by a member of your society or by your assn (collect rent). Any way civic body Health dept gives periodic clearance. Complaint to BBMP Health Dept will do the trick.
Nothing works without a complaint. Be specific like rats / cockroaches / mosquitoes

Srinivasan.S October 24, 2010 - 2:01 pm

I would like to know whether it is MANDATORY to Register the association . If not what are the serious consequences affecting the owners.

A S RAO February 15, 2013 - 5:57 pm

We are having 15 flats in our apartment. It is constructed on 2001. But we have not yet registered our association. How to do our Association bye laws registration ? Some of the owners not giving monthly maintenance, hence how to proceed legally?

Comments are closed.