Guest Post by Prasanna Krishnamurthy. To inform apartment/gated communities about necessary COVID-19 precautions to be taken among residents and mitigate impact to families.
- India now has 110+ confirmed cases of COVID-19 across NCR, Rajasthan, Karnataka, Telangana, Kerala, Ladakh and other regions.
- The incubation period is anywhere from 1- 14 days from contact. However, symptoms may not show for up to six days with the unsuspecting person remaining contagious. Symptoms include shallow cough, aches, sore throat and fever. As the illness progresses the person may feel difficulty in breathing.
- The virus spreads through droplet infection – if an infected person sneezes or coughs in your vicinity or you come into contact with contaminated surfaces.
- People who are elderly or immunocompromised are at greater risk.
- The known method that works to flatten the curve is social distancing.
- In India, only 4000 tests have been done so far. You are unlikely to be recommended for a test even if symptomatic due to lack of capacity
Recommended COVID-19 Precautions
- Temperature screening for all workers/visitors/guests/delivery personnel.
- Hand wash at the entrance (or hand sanitizer) for all incoming people.
- Additional wiping down of elevators, handrails & common surfaces with disinfectant.
- Supply of soap/disinfectant to all workers & security for their home use.
- Masks for security personnel at the gate. Reduced security personnel at the gate. Gloves for the housekeeping staff.
- Educate housekeeping and security staff about these measures.
- If your community is using a gate security app for visitor entry, ensure it is not touched by visitors. Wipe with cloth/disinfectant every 2 hours.
- Reduced group activities for kids/parents inside the apartment complex.
- Avoid both external visits & visitors as far as feasible.
- Practice good hygiene.
- Cover your mouth and nose when sneezing or coughing.
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water for 20 seconds.
- Carry alcohol-based hand sanitizers in your purse or pockets and use them.
- Avoid touching your face, nose, eyes – to prevent transmitting the virus.
- Regularly clean surfaces like your keyboard, mouse, desk areas, door handles, countertops, fridge handles.
- Masks are to be worn only if you have a respiratory illness, to prevent spreading the infection. Otherwise, leave them for healthcare workers and avoid creating a shortage.
- If a family member has a cold or cough, quarantine in a separate room. Use separate towels, etc. Be especially careful in case of the elderly or those who are immunocompromised (diabetes, etc)
- Contact details of your city’s hospital where COVID-19 testing is done, and where isolation beds are available. https://www.icmr.nic.in/node/39071
- WHO resource on the Coronavirus.
- Worldwide spread of the coronavirus, courtesy WHO.
- Statistics in India, courtesy Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- Good content on Coronavirus https://www.moh.gov.sg/covid-19
- Printable shareable resources https://www.moh.gov.sg/covid-19/resources
- Social distancing
- Flatten the curve
- Tips on how to work from home for the first time
About the Author:
Mr.Prasanna Krishnamoorthy, Partner at Upekka Catalyst.
Click here to find out “How to use a Community Management System for Managing Coronavirus in Apartment Communities”.